2014. május 14., szerda

Introduction of DartRocket

 This will be my first blog post that introduces DartRocket to everybody and also this will be my first blog in english and my first blog for a project. I destroy a lot of first with this blog. :D
I try to answer to the most important questions.

What is DartRocket?

 DartRocket is a HTML5 Game framework, which is written entirely in the Dart programming language. DartRocket depends on the awesome StageXL webGL render engine.

What are the goals?

 My primary goal is to make DartRocket an easy to use game framework and and easy to learn game framework. My second goal is to introduce Dart to gamedevs and hope to make it a little more popular.
All in all my goal is to make a game framework like Phaser, but in Dart.

Why did you start making it?

My first reason:  There is a saying in gamedev community: "Make games, not game engines" and I agree with that, but what if there are no game engines? :D (Dart has some game engines, but none of them is "complete")
 Before i even started thinking about making DartRocket, I was using Dart and StageXL to make some simple experimental games and i even participated in Ludum Dare 29 Compo.
 After LD29 i noticed that there are a lot of common code sections in my games, which made me start thinking about making a framework.

My second reason: I got annoyed with Javascript way of making HTML5 games and I'm always seeking cleanly structured code(after watching some Uncle Bob video), which is really hard to make in Javascript's case. Not to mention using a language, which is so out of date that it's not even funny anymore.

My third reason:I think Dart is an incredibly good platform, which was designed for web development and so it's enjoyable to work with. Not to mention the batteries are included.

When did i start making it?

 My first thought about DartRocket was after LD29, but even before that i made state machine for LD29, which eventually became the base of my game framework.
LD29 was a really good starting point for a game framework, because i got a lot of great feedback, which give the boost to start making it.

How will i make it?

 My plan is that i keep making games with DartRocket and if i see a code that i can reuse, then i will build it into the framework.
 My second plan is include features that are required for making HTML5 games with ease.

Is it usable?

 DartRocket is in early stage, so there will be a lot of breaking change when i update the framework, but at the same time there will be examples to show how it works and how the features are working.
DartRocket best feature the state machine is working and there is a working simple game in the examples. You can try it out with a little courage. :D
There is no documentation, but i will work on it.

Where can i find it?

You can find it on pub and on github

Who am I?

 I'm Dart enthusiast, webdev, gamedev and unfortunately a student, who has to study for his final exam.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése